Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Summer 2009 trip to California

We spent this past week with my dad in Agoura Hills, CA. It was an amazing trip, and it really makes me think of where I'd like to actually live.
First of all the weather is excellent! As soon as we stepped outside of the airport, we felt a cool breeze as the sun was shining....It was a huge difference from the humidity and thick air we have here in southeast Texas. It was like a crisp, fall day!! AND...NO MOSQUITOS!!
My dad's apartment was fixed up nice for us when we got there. He had an extra bedroom with a bathroom in it, so it worked out perfect for our family. Everyone had plenty of space.
We went to Universal Studios the next day, and that was pretty cool. We got to see actual places where films and shows are recorded. We watched some 3d and 4d shows, which the kids loved- especially Shrek.
On Friday, we went to Malibu beach. That was the best beach experience I've ever had. It was like a fantasy beach! LOL!! It was weird because the sun would be right on you, but at the same time, the breeze was like air conditioning!! And then all the sand just dusted right off, no struggles! Hahaha! I always get stressed out when we go to Galveston beach and we get sand all over the place, and it just sticks to your body. But this was totally different. There was nothing stressful about it. And the water was beautiful, surrounded by mountains everywhere you look. The water was so cold, but once you got used to it, it was pretty awesome. Andrew and I swam in the ocean together, hopping over the waves....it was a blast.
We played at my dad's playground at his apartments with the kids that night. What was so awesome is that the days seemed longer because the sun comes up at like 6 and it sets late, like at 9 or something. And you can stay outside all day because the weather is so nice. It was 95 degrees, but it felt nothing like Texas. It was refreshing. My dad has a swing outside his apartment and bird feeder, and in the mornings we would go out there with our coffee and watch the birds, and look at the mountains. It was incredible.
On Saturday, we went to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and Santa Monica Blvd. Santa Monica Blvd. was awesome. It had this main strip that was basically like an outdoor mall with lots of nice restaurants. As we walked down the street, there were lots of people giving "live shows" in the middle of the street. There were singers, dancers, gymnists, and all kinds of talents. We were in awe, LOL, we just don't see these kinds of things in lil' Orange, TX.
Sunday was our last day, and we were going to go to the beach, but we decided to just swim in the pool at the apartment and take it easy. We had some margaritas when the kiddos went to sleep and chilled with my dad.
Monday, was so hard for me. Ever since I was eight years old, I would fly to see my dad. And every time I had to leave, it was heartbreaking. And I still get that way when I have to leave my dad. I cried like a baby all day.
But, I'm so happy we went. It wasn't anything like what I expected. I had stereo-typed California into being a place where everyone is rich and perfect, but in reality it's really family-oriented. I cannot WAIT until we go back.

3 comments:

KriSTeN said...

wow! you guys look like you had a blast. so when did your dad move? wasnt he in NY? i am so glad yall went. those pics are gorgeous. i love the ones of the kiddos passed out in the car LOL

i hope yall are doing good. i know it's hard to leave when you go on vacation. coming home is bittersweet. you miss your home but you have a blast on vacation. i cant wait for another vacation!

i hope we can all get together soon. have a great weekend! :)

meagan said...

Ya he was in NYC,and he met someone and married, and they moved together. I loved NYC but, I think I love CA way more. It has so much more to see and experience.
I think this is the first time that I'm not all that happy to be home. This town sucks, and after being in a place like LA, I am so ready to move. This town has nothing to offer my family, except being close to Andrew's heliport.
But ya, this was a week to remember. We're going to have to come back.
Ya girl, we will plan something soon! you too, have a nice weekend!

KriSTeN said...

awwwww ya i know you hate living there. i am so sorry. it's hard to hate where you live. i love it here but i miss tyler sometimes too... its nice to be by family but i loved how pretty that area was!!! :)
but i do love having a house more. ha the grass is always greener on the other side huh???
i hope yall can move soon and be happy and enjoy your new hometown.
have a wonderful week and i know you will be happy to see your hubby tomorrow!
peace out! :)